International Union of Crystallography
Second South African School on Fundamental Crystallography
Satellite meeting of the 21st Meeting of the International Mineralogical Union
Bloemfontein, South Africa, 25-29 August 2014
To celebrate the International Year of Crystallography, the 21st Meeting of the International Mineralogical Union (IMA-2014) will put special emphasis and on the crystallographic sessions. To facilitate the participation to these sessions the Second South-African School of Fundamental Crystallography will be run as a Satellite meeting of IMA-2104.
The participants were expected to know basic matrix algebra (how to multiply matrices and vectors, how calculate determinant and trace of a matrix), fundamental electromagnetism (waves, diffraction) and basic chemistry.
- Introduction to group theory
- Crystallographic point groups
- Stereographic projection and the morphology of crystals
- Space groups
- Exercises on the space group diagrams from Volume A of the International Tables
- Fourier transforms and convolutions
- Scattering from an electron, an atom, a unit cell, a crystal
- Diffraction symmetry: Laue classes, Friedel's law, resonant scattering
- General, zonal and serial reflection conditions and their use to determine the space-group type
- Group-subgroup relations and their application to phase transitions
- Twins and modular structures
- Use of the Bilbao Crystallographic Server in the study of the structure and properties of crystals
The official language of the Schools is English. No simultaneous interpretation will be provided.
The School has been held in the computer laboratories next to the Sasol library on the campus of the University of the Free State. See details and map here.
International Program CommitteeProf. Massimo Nespolo, Nancy (MaThCryst, Chair)
Prof. Mois Ilia Aroyo, Bilbao
Prof. Andreas Roodt, Bloemfontein
Local Organizing CommitteeProf. Andreas Roodt, Chair
Prof. Hendrik Visser, Deputy Chair
Dr Marietjie Schutte-Smith, Secretary: Email:
Dr Alice Brink, Administration
Inquiries about the scientific program of the school should be sent to . For inquiries about organisation please contact the local organizing committee.
- M. Nespolo: Fundamentals
- M. Nespolo: Stereographic projection
- M. Nespolo: Screw axes and glide planes
- M. Aroyo: Point groups 1
- M. Aroyo: Point groups 2
- M. Aroyo: Symmetry operations
- M. Aroyo: Space groups
- M. Aroyo: Group-subgroup relations
- M. Aroyo: Structure tools
- M. Aroyo: Pseudosymmetry
Photos of the school are available at the IUCr gallery.
The Organizers of the Second South African School on Fundamental Crystallography
Satellite meeting of the 21st Meeting of the International Mineralogical Union have observed the basic policy of non-discrimination and affirmed the right and freedom of scientists to associate in international scientific activity without regard to such factors as citizenship, religion, creed, political stance, ethnic origin, race, colour, language, age or sex, in accordance with the Statutes of the International Council for Science. At this school no barriers existed which would have revented the participation of bona fide scientists.